Thursday, July 30, 2009

A Bit of A Detour

You know, sometime life throws you curve balls and takes you places you never would have imagined. I had that happen last week. I went to the doctor for a physical and complained about some tummy trouble I have had for quite some time now. The result of the exam was the recommendation by the doc to either drink Mylanta (blech) or go gluten and dairy free. Man, talk about a shocker.

For months I have suspected that Jeff had a dairy or or wheat allergy that caused all his congestion woes. I have even suspected that Theo had some sort of allergy because of the dark circles that show up under his eyes from time to time. My sis and I had been batting around the idea of us going dairy/gluten free- for them, but never considered that I would be the one to get the ball rolling.

And so, I was pretty bummed. All the foods that I dearly love, you know, those comfort foods that just put your world in order, suddenly were not on my grocery list or menu. Thankfully my sister was in town to rescue me with awesome recipes of really tasty foods and options that have given me some new favorites.

At first I let her cook and then I tested out a recipe on my own. The results were comical to say the least. I substituted flours thinking I didn't have the right one and ended up with brick-like waffles. Ewwww!

Today, to the delight of my taste buds, I tested out another recipe. This time I followed it to the letter and the result was some super awesome sandwich bread (many thanks to Lesli for the recipe). It was so good that we are having sandwiches for dinner tonight!
I just pulled two more loaves out of the oven. This recipe is a keeper!

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

Looks yummy!

RueRue said...

I'd like a warm slice with butter, please (I'm not dairy-free)!

mareseatoats said...

Come on over!