Yesterday I went to the gastro doc and was a little disappointed after my visit. He didn't really seem to hear my concerns about going through with the Celiac test (aka Torture on Wheat) and encouraged me to do the test as soon as I felt ready. I pushed back a bit and said there was no way I could do it before next summer. The one thing he did encourage me with was that my recent return to wheat and all of its symptoms did not scream Celiac to him. He said they spoke more to a gluten intolerance. He thinks my system is sensitive to wheat and that it sets off a series of reactions. If that is all this is, I will be living gluten free but not worried about traces of wheat or the long term health implications of Celiac (cancer, osteoporosis, diabetes, etc.).
When I came home I ran it all by my wonderful husband who is able to see through the emotion of it and pick up on things I totally miss. In retrospect, I wish I had thought to have him go there with me. Anyway, I realized that I had never asked the question, "What if I don't want to go back on gluten to do the blood test?" So I emailed the doc and also asked about the genetic testing that he had mentioned but seemed reluctant to do because of cost. I expected him to push back and tell me the genetic testing was too expensive (for Kaiser) and that I needed to do the "challenge" as he called it. I was prepared to tell him that Kaiser had dropped the ball a year ago and that they needed to do this for me. I didn't have to! Praise God! Now I am really doing a dance!
Basically what happens next is that I do the blood test for genetic markers for Celiac. If there are none then my chances of having the disease are really low and I can safely call it gluten intolerance. If there are markers then I will have to undergo further testing. I am not sure what that entails but the doctor doesn't think it will come to that.
Whew!
1 comment:
Well that is very good news indeed!!!! So glad that you don't have to do "Death by Gluten" just to do the test! Yay!
Yo Sista
Post a Comment