Last night I was busily working on a sewing project for my niece and I got to thinking about Christmas when I was a child. Actually, the thoughts were triggered by an episode at Wal-mart with my youngest. We were in the check out line and a kid in front of us started talking to him and counting down the days until Christmas day. Friendly chatter soon turned to frustration when he realized it was 3 whole days until Christmas day and 5 days until we would go to see Jeff's family for the gift exchange. He decided it was way too long to wait and his little chin started trembling. I have seen the boy in greed mode many times but I don't usually see utter sadness mixed with greed. It was sad and cute all at the same time. I started thinking about how hard it had been for me when I was that age. It seemed as if "that day" would never arrive.
So, back to last night. As I sewed like crazy to get it all done, I was thinking about the gifts we had selected for our two. We do three gifts for each and use the gifts that Christ received as our guide for choosing. They get...
a gold gift- that which shows how they are special to us- usually something they have been really wanting or of great value (ha! we also stick to a $50-60.00 budget per kid),
a frankincense gift- frankincense was used in the temple as a way of preparing for time with God- so they get something that encourages them in their relationship with Christ,
and a myrrh gift- myrrh was used to prepare the body for burial- a foreshadowing of what was to come for Christ- so they get something that is for their body- nope- nothing burial related. :-) Theo is getting roller blades, Leah is getting jewelry making supplies- we keep it fun!
I was thinking through each of their gifts, hoping that they would really enjoy each of them and that they would feel the love and thought that went into each selection. I was suddenly back in my seven year old brain (scary) and remembered what it was like after all the gifts were opened. I remember feeling how anti climactic it was. All this waiting and excitement and all I felt was a sense that there was something missing, that the gifts were not enough. Mom, Dad, don't get me wrong. I don't think you could have ever wrapped anything that could have changed that feeling. Last night I realized that I as much as I want my kids to enjoy their gifts I never want them to be satisfied by opening them. Stuff. That is what our culture wants us to put as the focus of our celebration. As kids, that is all we can see. Gifts under the tree, stockings crammed full, gifts from aunts and uncles, teachers, friends... it seems like an endless flow at times. My prayer for my kids is that the materialism of Christmas will always let them down and that they will be increasingly drawn into a celebration of the best and most perfect gift anyone could ever receive- CHRIST!
2 comments:
Wow! So well said! And I've always loved your 3 Gift Tradition/Policy!
And mostly what stuck with me in reading this post...you're sewing for your niece. Because you have too much time on your hands or what??? You crazy woman!
I got a great gift idea from a friend. Leah outgrew dressup before dressup outgrew her. My friend suggested that I get large pieces of fabric and just hem them so she can drape and create to her heart's content. She loves it! I got some quilting clips that are basically large metal barettes for clipping the fabric to help it stay put. She has had so much fun with this that I got a bunch of fabric and I have been giving it as gifts all year. I love to find fun fabric on the clearance shelf at Wal-mart.
Post a Comment