We left there wishing we had more time. It was truly an amazing tour. I hope we get to go back soon! But, time was moving on so we jumped into the van and headed for Chattanooga. Jeff had tried his hand at the PriceLine bidding game and landed us a room in the Sheraton for only $50.00! Leah ooohed and ahhhhed as we walked under the chandeliers and through the elegantly decorated lobby. We were sad we only had one night to spend on those beds. Now I understand why they sell them online. What a comfy place to sleep! But, the kids had been away from home for over a week by this point and Leah was getting testy. She needs space to herself and a bed alone. Sleeping with her little brother is not her idea of a great way to travel.
Friday, June 26, 2009
Road Trip- Day 3
Since we were so tired from the trip to the horse park we spent the night in Lexington again. Early on Wednesday we headed out for Mammoth Cave, KY. When we were almost there we stopped for a really cool gift shop. They had a huge collection of rocks and minerals- more than I had ever seen in one place. Well, not including Tellus Museum, of course.
We took a 2 hour tour inside Mammoth Cave. It was breathtaking! I couldn't believe how enormous it was. I wasn't sure how my fear of tight spaces was going to affect the tour. I had heard that we'd be taking a trip through "Fat Man's Misery" so I just told myself that I wasn't going to miss out on the fun just because I was scared. Thankfully most of the walk was in large, wide open areas.
Fat Man's Misery ended up being a tight fit but I had myself thinking it was going to be really tight- like squeezing through two flat surfaces of stone- so when I got in the middle of it I just laughed. It was tight around the knees and feet but there was plenty of space still around my head and shoulders. Jeff kept a careful watch on me but I wasn't bothered by it in the least.
Of course, the kids walked through it like there was nothing to it. I think Theo barely even had to bend over through the whole trip. The kids were funny though. As we got started they ducked really low every time the ceiling came down a little bit. Leah was sure she was going to bang her head. Ha! They had tons of clearance. They finally relaxed and hurried to keep up with the group. Leah didn't want to make the rangers wait and Theo didn't want to get left behind!
Leah was not bothered at all on the trip. Theo was freaked out by the dark- especially when the guide turned out all the lights. Man, was it dark. You couldn't see your hand in front of your face. She had also told a story about a guy chasing a bear into the cave so I think he thought we were going to find some "wild" life.
We left there wishing we had more time. It was truly an amazing tour. I hope we get to go back soon! But, time was moving on so we jumped into the van and headed for Chattanooga. Jeff had tried his hand at the PriceLine bidding game and landed us a room in the Sheraton for only $50.00! Leah ooohed and ahhhhed as we walked under the chandeliers and through the elegantly decorated lobby. We were sad we only had one night to spend on those beds. Now I understand why they sell them online. What a comfy place to sleep! But, the kids had been away from home for over a week by this point and Leah was getting testy. She needs space to herself and a bed alone. Sleeping with her little brother is not her idea of a great way to travel.
We left there wishing we had more time. It was truly an amazing tour. I hope we get to go back soon! But, time was moving on so we jumped into the van and headed for Chattanooga. Jeff had tried his hand at the PriceLine bidding game and landed us a room in the Sheraton for only $50.00! Leah ooohed and ahhhhed as we walked under the chandeliers and through the elegantly decorated lobby. We were sad we only had one night to spend on those beds. Now I understand why they sell them online. What a comfy place to sleep! But, the kids had been away from home for over a week by this point and Leah was getting testy. She needs space to herself and a bed alone. Sleeping with her little brother is not her idea of a great way to travel.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I've wanted to take the kids here for the longest time--I have fond memories of exploring Mammoth when I was about Alex and Leah's age.
Post a Comment