Saturday, February 16, 2008

A Well Oiled Machine

I was working on a sewing project last night- hemming large pieces of fabric so that young girls can continue to dress up even after the princess outfits no longer fit- and I was reminded of a great principle. My sewing machine kept messing up and I had to rethread it over and over. I couldn't figure out what was going on unti l had the grand idea to clean and oil the machine. I opened it up to find chunks of dust. No wonder the thread kept breaking. I oiled all the spots that needed it and put it all back together. I did a run down a long section of cloth and, wonder of wonders, I didn't have any troubles with broken thread. Go figure. I was struck at what a great picture that is for my life. When I "oil the machine" with God's word, things just seem to go smoother. My day is less harried, my responses to my kids are less sharp, my response to the people I love are more focused on them and less on me. I think I'll go take a picture of that Singer oil and frame it!

No comments: