Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Recent Fun

The last weeks of school are coming to a close and we all have Spring Fever. Thankfully we've had some nice diversions from the normal routine. At the end of last week we went to the High Museum of Art as a family. The kids' art teacher from Master's arranged a tour of the ancient art that they had been studying all year. The funniest part of the trip was telling Theo that it was a "no touching, no running, quiet voice" kind of a trip. I could just see the wheels spinning as he tried to figure out what part of this trip was going to be fun. Thankfully the museum has a great area for kids that we used as a "carrot" to encourage him during the tour. They enjoyed getting to see actual artifacts from the civilizations we had been giving lip service to all year. After hitting the "hands-on, rambunctious, loud voice area" designed just for kids like Theo, we went back into the museum and walked through the modern art area. They had a hard time understanding how most of those pieces had ended up in a museum. It was fun to see their reactions. The art teacher had done a fabulous job teaching them principles of art that they were easily able to see on the trip. Here is one of my favorites and the kids remembered their lesson on implied lines.
So much for a "no running" kind of a trip. Jeff was trying to take some pictures and Leah decided she had to avoid the camera. It's a wonder we weren't kicked out. Those long ramps just beg a child to run on them. Theo managed to reign himself in for the most part.This past weekend Theo and I went to the Sawnee Mountain Preserve just north of Cumming. It was our annual Mother/Son Hike with the homeschool group. We both had a great time and it was wonderful exploring a park we had never been to before. The trail we hiked was pretty strenuous but there was an awesome view at the top.


I couldn't help but laugh at the comments we moms were making as we got to the top. "Stay back!" "That's far enough!" "Don't stand on that rock and reach for the limb off the edge!" If the dads had been there I dare say the comments would have been far less anxious.
You can see here that most of the boys wanted to see how high up we were. Laying down on their bellies was their way of satisfying their curiosity while easing the fears of us moms at the same time. Theo is the one on the right in the red shirt. And, yes, there is a pretty major drop off on the other side of that rock.

Last night was our end of the year program for Master's Academy. Theo was in a play that we put on with the kindergarten and first graders. He was the conductor and got to wave the baton. He loved being on stage and looks forward to the next chance of being in the lime light. Leah's play was performed during class time last week but she also had some hand made musical instruments on display. We love Master's and look forward to next year but we are all ready for a break.
The next big excitement for us is Leah's birthday. That will be followed by a camping trip, the last few days of school and then, finally, a break for the summer. I used to say that year round schooling was for me. Unfortunately, all my years in public school, both as a student and as a teacher, have ruined me. I live for a long summer break and the time betweens spring break and summer break lasts too long! So, the next 5 weeks are likely to drag on but I'll make sure we throw in some outdoor school days to help break up our weeks. Now I find myself rambling. Dinner and the mountain of laundry are calling so I'd better wrap this up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, girl, I didn't know you blogged!?

Now I can see what's going on in your life on the days I don't see you! :0)

What a lovely blog. I can't wait to figure out how to put pictures on mine...sigh.;-)

Have a great week! Ditto on the MAJOR Spring fever. Wish me luck on finishing school before July...
Tracy

mareseatoats said...

Yeah, I got hooked reading a friend's blog. With out of town family, it only made sense to keep it simple and let eveyone come here for pics and updates. BTW, Jeff uses word press for his picture blog. I'll ask him how to add pictures. Mine allows me to click an icon on the same page as that I use to compose. From there I browse my directories to find the one I want.

Kathleen said...

What a fun last few days you've had! Hopefully, we'll be able to at least match the fun at Foxfire!