I'm so thankful for the dads God has put into my life.
First of all, of course, he gave me my daddy and has taught me so much through him. You know, it is funny. When I was a teenager and I realized that my parents were human, I thought that they knew nothing and that I had it all figured out. Then, I hit the real world and realized that my parents were still very human but I understood just how human we all are! God has used my dad (and mom) to teach me how amazingly He provides for our every need, how wonderful His love is, how big His grace is, and how patient He is to wait on us to yield to Him. My dad makes no bones about the mistakes he has made in his life. But his life is a testament to change that only Christ can bring about. Someday I'll have to chat with you about the transformation that is still underway but just believe me when I say that he is not the same man he was when I was born, 37 years ago! 
Eight years ago, the love of my life became a daddy. I have gotten great joy watching him love his kids. On the way to Cartersville I asked them what they loved about their daddy. They mentioned his fun tickle fights and his great sense of humor. As they grow older I think they will come to recognize and cherish his absolute humility, his unconditional love, and his dedication to us and to His God. Like all dads (ahem, and moms!), he is human but I pray that they will not miss out on the jewels of wisdom God has given him. 
We celebrated Father's Day with Jeff and my dad by taking them out in a canoe on the Chattahoochee. The original plan was to take Leah out for a quick spin (since she wasn't wild about being on the water) and then they paddle back up river and grab Theo for the trek down to the next docking point. I had pictured Leah and I lazing around on a large blanket with lots of books. Unfortunately for her that was far from what happened.
We celebrated Father's Day with Jeff and my dad by taking them out in a canoe on the Chattahoochee. The original plan was to take Leah out for a quick spin (since she wasn't wild about being on the water) and then they paddle back up river and grab Theo for the trek down to the next docking point. I had pictured Leah and I lazing around on a large blanket with lots of books. Unfortunately for her that was far from what happened.
As the guys headed down the river, they quickly realized that the current was too strong to fight. Water had just been released from the dam so the river was moving at a pretty good clip. Add to that a million wading fishermen and other boats to dodge and you get the realization that resistance is futile. They decided to head on down to the next spot to pull the canoe out. What we didn't realize was that it was 2 hours down river! Take a look at Leah's expression as they headed out. 
So, Theo and I decided to make the best of it and go fishing. He was a good sport and didn't mind too much that he wasn't in the canoe.
1 comment:
What a great tribute to the daddies in your life! And what a fun way to celebrate...did the unplanned 2 hour trip down the rapids cure Leah of her trepidation?
Post a Comment