If you have a hard time saying no to sweets, don't read this post! However, if you are looking for a great summer time, rainy day* activity that your kids will gobble up then keep reading.*notice there was no rain here todayWhen we were at my parent's house yesterday we watched Paula Deen for a bit. She made some doughnuts out of store bought biscuit dough and we all thought- gross! Well, not all of us. The kids were dying to try it out. Not thinking about it much I promised them that we'd get a can of biscuits the next time we went to the store. Well, I guess I shouldn't have made that promise because today at the grocery store they reminded me what I had said. Here is the result...
(No matter what I did to the picture in photo shop, it still ended up turned when I uploaded it. But, you the the idea.) 
Here is the link for the recipe.
http://www.pauladeen.com/recipe_view/801

I was dubious to begin with. Biscuit dough and doughnut batter didn't seem similar enough to me. But, wow! They were delicious and quick. From start to finish we were done in less than an hour. Here are a few tips if you decide to try it out. First of all, use a water bottle cap to cut out the holes. Fry them too- they are just as yummy! Second, if you don't feel like making the chocolate glaze you can just shake them in a bag of powdered sugar. And finally, her chocolate glaze calls for chocolate you may not have on hand like me. I just used powdered sugar, cocoa powder, a bit of vanilla, and milk. That is the way she actually showed on her program yesterday. Oh, and one more thing. Buy the smallest can of buttermilk non layered biscuits you can buy. The can of 5 is perfect. :-)
The down side to this project? Now I have yet another thing to walk away from in the grocery store!
1 comment:
Yum! Dontcha'll jes luv Paula Deen? Although I'm sure it caused you great frustration, your picture looks like the doughnuts are tumbling out of the bowl, and it really makes them look quite delicious!
Post a Comment