Friday, November 21, 2008

I Learned Something New Today

Today I decided that I'm going to quit trying to make all my childhood favorites turn out just like Mom's- at least for now. I mean, I don't have that little divot in the palm of my hand that perfectly measures a teaspoon and even if I did mine would be a different size since my hands are quite large compared to Mom's. I also don't have the "dump-dump-dump and don't measure" knack. Yes, my measuring spoons are my best friend in the kitchen.

So, today I tried out one of Jeff's childhood favorites- fried pies. Now, I realize that I am treading on thin ice there. I could be setting him up for the polite lie- "Why, yes. Those are -um- just like my grandmother's." Thankfully, God saw fit to give me a darling hubby that isn't picky. It doesn't matter to him that I got my recipe off the internet instead of from the family recipe box. All that mattered was that they came to him hot and flaky. Success!

And, since I have no memory of what they are supposed to taste like, they taste great!

Jeff says now all I have to do is figure out how to make boiled peanuts and I can open a stand. ;-)

4 comments:

RueRue said...

I'll stop by your stand! Those look delicious!
-Taaryn:)

Kathleen said...

Awww...well said. And I bet they tasted equally as perfect!

Anonymous said...

Proper Rules of Blogging:
1. Never post a picture like that without the recipe again.

I'll tell you the rest of the rules as I think of them.

Lesli

trinabambina said...

Oh, I love games where you make up the rules as you go along!! That's how my mom plays monopoly!!