Ah, fall is in the air- pumpkins, beautiful leaves, acorns.... I used to think acorns were so cute and make neat little table decorations. That was until we bought a house with 3 very large oak trees in the backyard. Now I put them in the pest category. If you tried to walk in our yard right now you would likely break your leg. It is like walking on marbles. If you didn't break your leg you'd at least end up with a knot or two on your head from the missiles that fall every time the wind stirs the mighty branches above. Now that we have about 1,000 pounds of acorns lying in our backyard, I am again reminded that we really need to cut those blasted trees down.It truly saddens me to think of cutting down a hardwood tree. My daddy raised me to love trees and to fill my yard with them. He even had a rule that if we broke a limb from a tree in their yard that he'd break our arm. He wasn't serious but he got the idea across. Trees are a precious commodity and are to be treated with care. But, my daddy never had an oak tree in his yard.
If you looked beyond Theo in the last post, you noticed about a million acorns. Anyone need any???? I've been searching for a good use for all those buggers. Any ideas?? I hit the internet and found that I can make flour with them. Ha. That won't happen. Then there are a handful of cute craft ideas but that will only use about 2 pounds of acorns.
And so, Saturday has been dubbed "Acorn Day." The kids and I will be outside bright and early raking them up. You wouldn't by any chance happen to have a few hard hats we could borrow, would you?
2 comments:
If we didn't have plans Saturday, I'd send the kids over--they love collecting acorns!
May I have some? They would look great in some Southern Living at Home vases. In fact, if I could have a lot, I could give them as gifts for the guests at my next party! Let me know when they are dry enough to collect and I will be happy to come over with my kids to clean up your backyard!
Post a Comment