Rain
Hiking gear to site (and, as usual, we over packed)
Setting up 15' x 17' tent in a 15' x 12' spot
Overcast skies for an early dusk which meant setting up the tent with only lantern light
No on-site electricity or water (we are state park campers after all!)
The kids started to melt down when they thought they were going to have to sleep in the tents provided by the scout camp. You know the type. They have been there since before my brothers were scouts. They sit on a wooden base with wide open slats and the only closure is a flap with a couple of ties. And of course, my big mouth had let it out that another family was not going to stay in them because the grandaddy long legs had free reign. I said that thinking our tent was going to fit without any trouble. After all, I had cleared it ahead of time. Oh, me and my big mouth!
So, as their core temp started to rise dangerously high we had a quick chat about making a choice to find the fun in this adventure or choosing to wallow in our disappointment. They rallied and jumped in on the set-up with promises of dinner, s'mores and glow sticks bouncing around in their heads. The rest of the evening passed without any trouble and they got their s'mores and hot chocolate. Only when you are camping do you get to eat that much junk after your normal bed time! Thankfully Jeff was thinking creatively and managed to make the small space work for our monstrosity of a tent. He even spent 30 minutes pumping up our air mattresses with a manual pump. What a guy!
The next day was absolutely gorgeous! Jeff and the kids went out for Tiger Fun Day while I hung out at the campsite and finished setting up. I even snuck off to the empty bath house and all the hot water I could stand. Yes, it is a scout camp. Set up for boy scouts. We women had a bathroom with three stalls and three showers. With 300 scouts I would imagine there had to be at least 150 moms there. You can see the challenge there! But we were choosing to find joy despite the circumstances, right???
When I caught back up with them there was so much to see and tell. Face painting....
G'nite!
4 comments:
Wow. You almost inspire me to go camping! My favorite picture is of Leah reading in bed!
-Taaryn:)
Almost?
:-)
That's funny - I don't remember Dad reading to us - where was I?!? I remember reading in my sleeping bag, with big flash light though. And I do love Theo's tiger face - he looks so different, I can't wait to see him in Dec!
Thanks for the good camping memories! I think we should do Cumberland - all of us together! Wouldn't that be a blast!
Big Sister
Love the picture of Leah reading by headlight! :-)
Post a Comment