
I don't know if you have heard about it but
letterboxing has to be one of my favorite school day field trips! You can leave the school room, get out in the woods, tromp around in poison ivy, throw rocks, climb on tree trunks, sword fight with sticks and still call it a school day! For those of you that don't know, here's how to do it....

First, go to either
http://www.letterboxing.org/ or
http://www.atlasquest.com/ and find a letterbox in the city of your choosing. We decided to go to the
Gwinnett Environmental and Heritage Center. There are at least 6 letterboxes hidden there.

We picked a trail that had two letterboxes hidden along the way. That way, we would be more likely to have success.

The first was a
disapointment. We followed the directions over and over and never found the rock they said should be there. Oh well, on to the next one.

Success! It was exactly where they said it would be! Now for the really fun part. Inside the letterbox is a stamp (made by the person that places the box), a stamp pad and a notebook. You use their stamp to mark your notebook and then stamp yours in their book.

To me it is like treasure hunting. I just love it and it is especially fun when you take friends with you! Let me know if you'd like to go some time. I am always looking for a worthwhile excuse to get out of the house during school hours.
2 comments:
We need to get back to letterboxing! We always think about it once we're already out...we were in Athens yesterday at the Botanical Gardens, and I thought, "Man, I bet there's a letterbox or two here", but, alas, I didn't have my laptop with me (or a wifi connection in the gardens!).
You make this look so fun! I can't wait until Ian is a little older to enjoy it!
-Taaryn:)
Post a Comment